Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

How do you ride on ramps of a highway?

This is a discussion on How do you ride on ramps of a highway? within the Riding Tips forums, part of the Sportbike Operation category; I haven't been able to hit the highway yet because of the weather but last season I did and was ...

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    30
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default How do you ride on ramps of a highway?

    I haven't been able to hit the highway yet because of the weather but last season I did and was never comfortable with it. Looking back I think one of my problems was I was in too high a gear taking the ramp slow and once my bike bike turned off. I know its all about judgment with speed and all but what gear are you guys normally in when taking a ramp? What about those wide ramps?

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    N/W Ohio
    Posts
    179
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: How do you ride on ramps of a highway?

    its all about matching speed. You dont need to be doing double the speed limit on the ramp.. but most are designed for takeoff, so you can be up to speed and merge into traffic. Regardless, even tight spiral on ramps you can take faster than most cars, so there really shouldnt be a problem.
    ~Marriage has three rings: The Engagement Ring, The Wedding Ring and The SuffeRING~
    08 BLUE R6S - Bridgestone BT023's - Carbon Fiber Frame Sliders - Custom Integrated Tail WITH stock signals - Blue LED's - K&N Air Filter

  3. #3
    Kentucky Kid
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    2,081
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: How do you ride on ramps of a highway?

    If it is a 25mph ramp I will usually take it around 50 comfortably in 3rd or 4th gear.

    I can comfortably take most ramps at twice the recommended speed without effort.

    No matter the ramp, you should be in a gear that puts you around 4500 - 9000 rpm if you are just commuting.
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. - Patrick Henry

  4. #4
    jihad jesus
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Casa del Hypno
    Posts
    2,838
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: How do you ride on ramps of a highway?

    Quote Originally Posted by MikesyamahaR6 View Post
    its all about matching speed. You dont need to be doing double the speed limit on the ramp.. but most are designed for takeoff, so you can be up to speed and merge into traffic. Regardless, even tight spiral on ramps you can take faster than most cars, so there really shouldnt be a problem.
    Come see California, the ramps are designed to make you essentially stop before you get on, so you merge at a quarter of the speed and cause a traffic jam. And they wonder why they have traffic issues out here, because some dumb fuck who knows nothing designed the highway system.
    Successful people do what unsuccessful people are unwilling to do. Onward and upward.


  5. #5
    Derailing threads since03
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    767
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: How do you ride on ramps of a highway?

    Not to point out the obvious, but since Trav is posting in here I guess I have to, the guy is clearly new to riding so maybe suggesting he take on/off ramps at high speeds isn't the best fucking advice ever you schmuck.

    Anyway, there's no one gear you "should" be in but if you're killing the bike you're in way too high a gear for the speed you're going. You need to be cognizant of your speed/RPM's and choose a gear that will take you fully trough the turn. Would highly recommend and MSF course.
    Last edited by Volition; 04-16-2014 at 03:49 AM.
    When you understand why you dismiss all the other gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.

    Quote Originally Posted by Supa Dexta
    Where does everyone think oil comes from? No one really knows for sure..(Otherwise they would just make more using science)

  6. #6
    Kentucky Kid
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    2,081
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: How do you ride on ramps of a highway?

    Quote Originally Posted by Volition View Post
    Not to point out the obvious, but since Trav is posting in here I guess I have to, the guy is clearly new to riding so maybe suggesting he take on/off ramps at high speeds isn't the best fucking advice ever you schmuck.
    When did I do that?
    Do you really think taking a 25mph ramp at 50mph on a sportbike is high speed?
    I can take a 25mph ramp at around 90mph dragging a knee.
    That is why I said twice the ramp speed is easily a comfortable speed.
    Even a new rider should have no problem doing 50mph on a 25mph ramp.
    There is a 25mph curve near my house that I ride my Zuma around wide open which is about 45mph.



    The bike shouldn't be leaning more than 1/4th its potential when taking a 25mph ramp at 50mph
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. - Patrick Henry

  7. #7
    wat?
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    370
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: How do you ride on ramps of a highway?

    Quote Originally Posted by tamer View Post
    Come see California, the ramps are designed to make you essentially stop before you get on, so you merge at a quarter of the speed and cause a traffic jam. And they wonder why they have traffic issues out here, because some dumb fuck who knows nothing designed the highway system.
    Or the 110 north of DTLA where you LITERALLY stop because they put stop signs at the end of them Nothing like having to go from 0-80 (since no one does the 55 mph speed limit) in about 20 feet

  8. #8
    jihad jesus
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Casa del Hypno
    Posts
    2,838
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: How do you ride on ramps of a highway?

    Quote Originally Posted by rhouck View Post
    Or the 110 north of DTLA where you LITERALLY stop because they put stop signs at the end of them Nothing like having to go from 0-80 (since no one does the 55 mph speed limit) in about 20 feet
    Seriously I think a 3 year old scribbling on a paper could do a better job than whoever designed LA.
    Successful people do what unsuccessful people are unwilling to do. Onward and upward.


  9. #9
    Derailing threads since03
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    767
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: How do you ride on ramps of a highway?

    Quote Originally Posted by TRAVR6 View Post
    I dunno, maybe you missed the part where he said he stalled his bike on an on/off-ramp? Whatever speed you consider comfortable is probably wrong for this guy.

    But please tell us more about your amazing riding skills. I, for one, am in awe.
    When you understand why you dismiss all the other gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.

    Quote Originally Posted by Supa Dexta
    Where does everyone think oil comes from? No one really knows for sure..(Otherwise they would just make more using science)

  10. #10
    jihad jesus
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Casa del Hypno
    Posts
    2,838
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: How do you ride on ramps of a highway?

    Quote Originally Posted by rhouck View Post
    Or the 110 north of DTLA where you LITERALLY stop because they put stop signs at the end of them Nothing like having to go from 0-80 (since no one does the 55 mph speed limit) in about 20 feet
    Had to stop by Pasadena on the way home yesterday, saw those ramps on the 110, I was dying. Such a joke.

    Quote Originally Posted by TRAVR6 View Post
    When did I do that?
    Do you really think taking a 25mph ramp at 50mph on a sportbike is high speed?
    I can take a 25mph ramp at around 90mph dragging a knee.
    That is why I said twice the ramp speed is easily a comfortable speed.
    Even a new rider should have no problem doing 50mph on a 25mph ramp.
    There is a 25mph curve near my house that I ride my Zuma around wide open which is about 45mph.



    The bike shouldn't be leaning more than 1/4th its potential when taking a 25mph ramp at 50mph
    Wood love to see pics of Trav dragging knees.
    Successful people do what unsuccessful people are unwilling to do. Onward and upward.


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •